Finished stereotype response questions from yesterday.
Absolutely True Diary – Assessment #2
Use your book to answer the following questions about Junior’s personal development in this story. Please write answers (legibly) on a separate sheet. Be sure to support your answers. Remember, there are no right or wrong answers in English class, only support or unsupported. Answer ONE question of the following 4 questions in a longer, more developed paragraph. Be sure to use topic sentences, examples from the story, analysis/interpretation of your examples, and even your own opinion to write. Mr. Restad expects a solid ½ page to a page long response.
1. In “Grandmother Give Me Some Advice” (p. 67) Junior says, “I realized how much of my self-worth, my sense of safety, was based on Rowdy’s fists.” How has Junior learned to stand up for himself so far?
2. In “Halloween” (p. 77) Describe how Junior tries to establish a connection with Penelope? What is the result and what does Junior learn at the end of the chapter?
3. In “Slouching towards Thanksgiving” (p. 82), explain what is significant about Junior speaking up in class to give an answer? What does the teacher’s reaction teach him about the rules of this Reardon society?
4. In “Hunger Pains,” what advice does Junior give Penelope?
Then, answer the following question in a similar fashion as to the one you chose above?
5. What do you all think are important lessons or values to learn as you grow up?
by Friday, have your topic chosen for your essay assignment.